It’s that time of the year again where Amazon celebrates its anniversary and tries to get everyone shopping: Prime Day! I first covered it when they started Prime Day back in 2015. Ah, it nearly felt like yesterday. Several other companies are having sales right now to counter it (Cyber Monday in July, etc) and it’s kind of fun watching them all fight for our dollars. Given that Amazon’s site has already crashed a couple of times in the last few hours, I’m going to take a wild guess who is winning.
Given that it was the first time, there were a few problems that made it a bit of a flop – mostly related to the deals and giveaways, but Amazon has mostly recovered and figured out what people want (and don’t want) out of Prime Day. However, I noticed a few things that seem a little different this year:
- Prime Day is now 36 hours. I noticed that a few deals and offers stretch over into tomorrow, July 17th. Maybe this is something they did last year that I just didn’t notice.
- The actual Prime Day deals don’t start until 3 p.m. Eastern time. Again, I don’t recall them waiting until 3 but maybe I just didn’t notice. In previous years, Prime Day started at midnight and ran for 24 hours.
- There’s way more prizes being given away this year. Multiple big screen TVs, video game systems, super expensive cameras and tech gadgets. I’m still waiting to see an Instant Pot on there, but hey.
- There’s also A LOT more furniture giveaways this time around. Living room sets? Sofas and love seats? Dining room table/chair sets? I’m not sure who asked for this, but wish granted!
- Also, lots of designer shades and purses. Gucci bags, Fendi bags, Prada bags, Tom Ford sunglasses. I don’t know who asked for those either, but I’m cool with it. I entered to win all of them because a $1200 purse should really impress a girl! (Just kidding, I’m selling it on eBay.)
Why do you care about Prime Day, and why are you telling us?
Because I’m a kind and caring guy, that’s why! Like any savvy shopper, I want to check it out for any good deals on stuff I’ve been needing or wanting. Nothing has really been jumping out at me, so I’ll probably sit this one out…but that doesn’t mean you have to. Though if you see an Instant Pot for like 50% off, let me know.
That’s all for today! Let me know if you guys buy anything, and I’ll do the same!
Justin Brasher, Brash Librarian