So April is right around the corner, and that means a good joke or two on April Fools Day! While there are a plethora of jokes and pranks out there, many are crude, mean, inappropriate, dangerous take lots of planning or are just a mess to clean up; I intend to list a few that are silly, clean, safe, require some or no planning and don’t make too much of a mess. Some you’ve probably heard of or done, some you maybe haven’t, but we all know some of these are just timeless classics. Put your trickster hats on and engage in some office hi-jinks!
1. Ye Olde “Post-it note under the mouse” Trick
The easiest, cheapest and safest of them all! Stick under the mouse and watch them go crazy. If your work place is stingy on the Post-its, paper and tape will do just fine.
2. Spill “milk” on your coworker’s stuff.
This mess-free mess via Instructables is made from soap and glue, and won’t actually damage anything.
3. Or spill nail polish on a coworker’s stuff.
It takes about 2 days to make, get started here!
4. Or spill juice on a coworker’s stuff. (Spill SOMETHING.)
People really love spilling stuff, apparently. Learn how to do this one here.
5. Keep a severed head in the fridge.
Absolutely crazy, only do this with coworkers you trust. Or on Halloween. Get your head rolling here.
6. Superglue a coin to the ground.
7. Print out a scary picture and hide it in a drawer.
What if you opened your desk drawer for a pen and saw this?
Those folks over at Metapicture are diabolical.
9. Buy everyone in the office an eye pad.
10. Bring in brownies.
People will hate you for this one. Nobody likes being cheated out of brownies.
11. Coat a soap bar in nail polish so it won’t lather.
I’ll admit, this one was for me. Most work places do the soap dispensers now, but that won’t stop me from doing this at home!
12. When at lunch, rush in and ask what year it is. Shout “it worked!” when they respond.
13. Swap out foods/drinks of their original containers to scare people.
Some great examples include:
- Eating vanilla pudding out of a mayo jar
- Drinking Gatorade from a Windex bottle
- Eating Frosting from a tooth paste tube
- Gulp down some strawberry milk from a Pepto-Bismol bottle
- Drink water from a vodka bottle (not recommended for work!)
- Pop Tic-tacs mints from an aspirin bottle
- Eat white chocolate from a deodorant stick
- Chug grape juice from a Listerine bottle
- Slowly drink apple juice from a syrup bottle
If you do any of these, make sure you rinse out the container REALLY well!
14. Anything involving Jell-O.
Put a coworker’s stapler in it or fill a glass and let them try to drink from it – you can’t go wrong with Jell-O! Find more here.
15. Fake animals.
Fake anything is good this time of year. Fake bugs, fake snakes and other fake scary things are great to spread around the library. However, keep it in employee areas…the last thing you want is a patron running out screaming you have a spider infestation. Otherwise, go crazy! Coworker’s keyboard, desk drawer, mail box, break room…possibilities are endless.
Which ones will you use? Got any other crazy ones you’d like to share? Post your thoughts below or on the Facebook page! Happy April Fool’s, everyone!
Justin Brasher, Brash Librarian